Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Beach Read


I just finished On Chesil Beach and I couldn't put it down, unlike my experience with Atonement. For a more cerebral review, please visit the New York Times.

This tale of a wedding night gone wrong in pre-sexual revolution England is heartbreaking and maddening. Two people think they are so in love, yet are so incapable of communicating with each other on any meaningful level.

I found a few clues in the book that might explain why Florence behaved as she did, but then again, it might be that I worked too long for a group of Marriage and Family Therapists.....

The Book Challenge II starts on Friday and I'm hunting through my bags, stacks and bookshelves for a worthy first candidate.

4 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

I am glad you liked Chesil Beach - do you have a list for the Book Awards challenge yet? I have a list but it is always subject to change :)

Anonymous said...

I have started the Wambaugh book and am hooked! I am glad you enjoyed Chesil Beach. Save it for me, and I will read it next.

Kathy B

Anonymous said...

Is that really a photo of Chesil Beach?

Glad you liked it - I did too, and like you I thought maybe there were some undercurrents and hints in the story that were clues about why things were the way they were.

Food for thought, that's for sure :-)

Becky

Marianne said...

Chesil Beach is so good. I loved Atonement, too. Ian McEwan writing is the best.