Monday, July 28, 2008

Another Finish


I finished Wambaugh's Fire Lover while in Long Beach and passed it on to Kathy B. I was very interested in this book because John Orr's fires included several in the San Joaquin Valley where I used to live and also San Luis Obispo County where my parents used to live. He was a serial arsonist and also a renowned fire investigator who was found guilty of setting fires causing much property damage and the lives of four people.

It was choppy and hard to follow at times and finally, during the penalty phase of the trial I went into skim mode--something I seldom ever do. I'm glad I read it, but it wasn't Wambaugh's
best.

I'm squeezing in On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan before the Book Awards Challenge II starts on August first. I tried to read McEwan's Atonement and bombed out, so was hesitant to try this one, but it seems pretty good so far.

Only a few days left until the Challenge starts and I'm not sure what to read first. I may opt for A Confederacy of Dunces, or perhaps The Reivers. We'll see.



No comments: