Friday, September 19, 2008

Book Hopping on Vacation


I just got back from a week in Hawaii and took my intended current read, Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick, which I read on the plane and during the first few days I was there. Then my tropical urges got the better of me and I slipped into a local bookshop in Kailua and picked up a paperback copy of James A. Michener's tome Hawaii.

It has been years since I read the book and being there got me in the mood for a re-read, so I dipped in to the first part about the settlement of the islands. Alas, on the way home, I went back to Mayflower (faithless book slut that I am), and will be plodding through that and trying to keep the various Native American tribes separate.

Are you picking up a theme of exploration and manifest destiny?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also read "Hawaii" on our trip there in 2002. There's something about being there that makes you want to immerse yourself in the culture, I think.

Becky

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.