Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao


I just finished The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and while at first I thought I wouldn't like it, I did. The story of a nerdy, overweight teen of Dominican descent, this book is not for those who are offended by colorful language. The story is told by the ex-boyfriend of Oscar's sister, but I didn't really "get" this until 2/3 of the way through the book.

Considering that I wasn't sure I'd even finish it, I managed to rip through it in a few days, so I guess I liked it well enough. Poor Oscar, nothing goes right for him and when it finally does, he goes balls-out for it and dies. Sheesh. What a life!

Knowing latino street slang would be a tremendous asset when reading this book.

The last two winners of the Pulitzer Prize for fiction have been a little bit dark. Perhaps something a bit lighter for 2009? Thanks.


1 comment:

*karendianne. said...

You know, I have this one and I've been hesitant to pick it up. I might have to be more open to it.