Thursday, October 2, 2008

Banned Books Week

Is happening now--September 27th to October 4th. Read about last year's account here.

Freedom of the press was an important topic in our home as I was growing up. My parents were both college graduates, Mom an English major and Dad a Journalism major who made a career in the newspaper business as reporter, editor and finally publisher of small-town papers now owned by the Gannett group. My parents were voracious readers and never without a book on their nightstands. Trips to the library were a frequent routine for us and even now, the smell of the library makes me happy and secure.

Growing up in the early days of television, I read to entertain myself, I read to escape, and my reading fueled daytime play. Our favorite dress-up games were playing "Laura and Mary" after Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books. Even our teachers read to us during quiet time at school and the worst teacher I ever had (4th grade), read us some wonderful stories and helped encourage the love of reading. My love of reading continues to entertain me (in a time of a TV wasteland), and exposes me to ideas and cultures and places that enrich my life.

I've interrupted my current read Mayflower to enjoy Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon. Last year I read Morrison's The Bluest Eye and I'm saving Beloved, her other "challenged" book for next year. She seems like a great choice to celebrate this annual event. She's a fabulous writer, her stories break my heart and keep me hooked.

Keep those pages turnin' friends,


No comments: