Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sidetracked


I finished Song of Solomon and liked it very much except for the ending which I found a bit, well, I don't know, just weird.

I was supposed to go back to Mayflower, but I have a little something from the library that must be read and returned (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). That book would be The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and I am hooked, hooked hooked.

Set in Germany before and during World War II, it is the story--narrated by Death--of Liesel Meminger, an orphan foster child, her foster parents Rosa and Hans and the hiding of a certain young Jewish man in the basement. This time period both fascinates and repels me for reasons that should be obvious, not the least of which is some ancestry that would have been considered "undesirable" had those ancestors not fled some 100 years prior.

Thanks to Juliann for the recommendation, it is a true winner and I'm trying really hard not to rush through it.


1 comment:

Juliann in WA said...

I am so glad you are liking this book. It is really wonderful.