Thursday, October 9, 2008

Booking Through Thursday




Once again Booking Through Thursday has provided us with a great meme on reading.

What was the last book you bought?

Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick

Name a book you have read MORE than once

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith opened my eyes when I was a young teen to the realities of the lives of the very poor and was probably the beginning of my life as a Democrat.

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?

The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck. Should be required reading for everyone.

How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews

Book reviews, recommendations of my friends, and books by authors I know and love.

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?

Ficton.

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?

Good writing can overcome a slow plot any day.

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)

Tough question as I often love the characters in books I read. I do love Claire in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (those familiar will know that I love Jamie more....).

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison, my banned book for 2008 and Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick, currently interrupted for banned book week.

What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?

Lat book finished was The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, finished about 3 weeks ago.

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?

Yes, and Mayflower may be another one.


1 comment:

Juliann in WA said...

I don't know about that good writing thing. I just finished a book by an author who is supposed to be a very poetic writer but I didn't really care for the characters and the plot really dragged. It was really hard to finish but since I am the dicussion leader at book group for this one, I did finish it.